May 7, 2012

Avery Moon Plushie

Making a FAN art based on a FAN art is a little strange, but sometimes fan creation can be as equally inspiring as the real thing, which is the case with SMA's Sailor Moon costume concept. So what kind of fan art did I make? I sewed a fan plushie! Yep.

If this is your first time seeing this kind of doll I make, please take look at the first one I sewed a few months ago, I also posted my inspiration sources there as well. I didn't want to use the traditional skin colored fabric, but experiment with something like plaid. In the end though, I opted for a light-tan textured felt, but instead of looking "alternative", it unintentionally ended up looking a lot like the Mini-Wheats cereal mascot, so we have named affectionately nicknamed the doll "Sailor Shredded Moon Wheat"! :D!



A couple of weeks after I watched the cool fan-made Sailor Moon the Movie video that the guys from SMA produced, I was bewitched by the design and concepts that Kris and Eric had put together to create Avery's Sailor Moon look. AND WHO WOULDN'T BE?! She looks so BADASS!! Just the right balance between shinnies and colors. I find their approach to Usagi's look quite refresing from what we've seen around the fandom in all these years. For the Moonies out there who haven't seen it, this is the movie I am talking about:




When I finished watching it, a sudden rush of plushie inspiration came along and I just HAD to sew a doll as a little tribute. Dat make up, dat hair,  dat awesome heroine cape! Girl has got it going!! Sadly, the actual movie only gives us a tiny glimpse of the costume, as the suited scenes are filmed at night and she is moving around quite a lot, so instead, I looked at the details from an interview recorded before the movie came out where she is being dressed and made up. The details can be seen up close in that video, and these are some screen caps I used as reference along with the picture below:


So, here she is: Sailor Moon Avery style!



Yay!! I actually like how she came out considering she is my second doll ever to sew. I am so bad at this, you can see some weird stitches here and there, and plz nobody note the weird odango falling back, THX! AHhahahaa!! I think she's alright for a second attempt, tho. She is about 13 x 12 in. and is made out of super sparkly felt because they mentioned in one of the videos that a lot of glitter is part of the Sailor Moon transformation, it gives her more of a "magical girl" feel. It's strange how her earring didn't come out in the pictures, but it is there (as seen in the last pic) and, yes, I know the collar and cape need 3 white stripes, but in front there is such a tiny space, they wouldn't fit in! It's a simplified version.

Anyway! Hope you guys like her! She was super fun to make! Both dolls ARE for sale, but as I'm new at this plushie thing, I have no idea what the price should be so if you're interested, e-mail me your offer. Please keep in mind that materials alone cost me about $35 dollars and about 30 hours to hand-sew.

Thx for looking at my little creation!! ^^

May 7, 2012

Avery Moon Plushie

Making a FAN art based on a FAN art is a little strange, but sometimes fan creation can be as equally inspiring as the real thing, which is the case with SMA's Sailor Moon costume concept. So what kind of fan art did I make? I sewed a fan plushie! Yep.

If this is your first time seeing this kind of doll I make, please take look at the first one I sewed a few months ago, I also posted my inspiration sources there as well. I didn't want to use the traditional skin colored fabric, but experiment with something like plaid. In the end though, I opted for a light-tan textured felt, but instead of looking "alternative", it unintentionally ended up looking a lot like the Mini-Wheats cereal mascot, so we have named affectionately nicknamed the doll "Sailor Shredded Moon Wheat"! :D!



A couple of weeks after I watched the cool fan-made Sailor Moon the Movie video that the guys from SMA produced, I was bewitched by the design and concepts that Kris and Eric had put together to create Avery's Sailor Moon look. AND WHO WOULDN'T BE?! She looks so BADASS!! Just the right balance between shinnies and colors. I find their approach to Usagi's look quite refresing from what we've seen around the fandom in all these years. For the Moonies out there who haven't seen it, this is the movie I am talking about:




When I finished watching it, a sudden rush of plushie inspiration came along and I just HAD to sew a doll as a little tribute. Dat make up, dat hair,  dat awesome heroine cape! Girl has got it going!! Sadly, the actual movie only gives us a tiny glimpse of the costume, as the suited scenes are filmed at night and she is moving around quite a lot, so instead, I looked at the details from an interview recorded before the movie came out where she is being dressed and made up. The details can be seen up close in that video, and these are some screen caps I used as reference along with the picture below:


So, here she is: Sailor Moon Avery style!



Yay!! I actually like how she came out considering she is my second doll ever to sew. I am so bad at this, you can see some weird stitches here and there, and plz nobody note the weird odango falling back, THX! AHhahahaa!! I think she's alright for a second attempt, tho. She is about 13 x 12 in. and is made out of super sparkly felt because they mentioned in one of the videos that a lot of glitter is part of the Sailor Moon transformation, it gives her more of a "magical girl" feel. It's strange how her earring didn't come out in the pictures, but it is there (as seen in the last pic) and, yes, I know the collar and cape need 3 white stripes, but in front there is such a tiny space, they wouldn't fit in! It's a simplified version.

Anyway! Hope you guys like her! She was super fun to make! Both dolls ARE for sale, but as I'm new at this plushie thing, I have no idea what the price should be so if you're interested, e-mail me your offer. Please keep in mind that materials alone cost me about $35 dollars and about 30 hours to hand-sew.

Thx for looking at my little creation!! ^^